Freezer sparks Libertyville hazmat
A broken freezer prompted a hazardous materials situation Friday evening in Libertyville.
A man on Johnson Street was chipping ice out of a freezer of a refrigerator that dated back to the early 1930s when he cracked a coil and an unknown gas started leaking, a Libertyville Fire Department spokesman said. One person inside the house began to feel ill.
Testing inside the house showed the chemical — an acid and not Freon — was dissipating into the air and posed a risk.
A hazardous-material box alarm was called and the hazard was neutralized with baking soda. Fire personnel had to put on Level B hazardous suits and the refrigerator had to be removed from the basement of the home.
Officials closed one lane of traffic on Route 21 just north of downtown during the response.
No one was hurt.